January 23, 2010

A Good Reminder

I gotta say, sometimes I forget to remember that Allah has control over everything. Oh, I know it sounds fairly obvious- but sometimes when it comes to everyday life I tend to take it for granted. Do you know what I mean?




The other day I baked my chocolate cake. I call it mine because even though it’s a recipe that we got from a tin way back when, according my family the way I make it is the best. Thus, it is with utmost confidence that I usually bake this cake, knowing that it’ll turn out great (like it has a 1000 times before) and knowing that it is a family favourite. Now when I usually make something for the first time and I’m not very confident about it I tend to be extra cautious, recite extra ‘bismillahs’ with every ingredient and make extra dua that the thing will turn out great (after all, who likes a flop anyway???)

But when it comes to the chocolate cake its like because of the confidence I invest in myself, I forget to ask Allah to help me, and as we all know Allah (SWT) is in control of everything.

This time around I got a little reminder when my chocolate cake, my golden oldie chocolate cake, flopped. Ok, so it didn’t really flop but rather over flowed. I used the exact same pan I always use but for some reason the cake overflowed. (Well I don’t need to tell anyone how disappointing that is!) The contents toppled out and began burning at the bottom of the oven and the cake, usually fluffy and tip top beautiful was disfigured. And that’s when my mind told me that I had mistakenly put confidence in myself and my experience and not in Allah (SWT).

So of course I sincerely repented, thanked Allah for the reminder, made extra dua that the cake was still enjoyable and did not get wasted, and proceeded to frost my disfigured cake with a rich chocolate icing. And you know what, despite the mess, the cake still turned out to be absolutely delicious. My Merciful Almighty Creator (SWT), despite my pride and confidence in myself, still accepted my dua and still mercifully willed for the cake to be even more delicious than other times.

So instead of just an ordinary day baking an ordinary cake, this day provided me with a reminder that I should never, under any circumstances, forget that anything and everything only occurs with the will of Allah(SWT) and that I should always put my confidence and trust in Him. Alhamdulillah.

5 comments:

  1. Wow got me mouth watering
    Any chances you wana share ur recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to dissapoint but the cake is just a picture- and not mine either!!! Though i think the recipe i have actually makes a far fluffier cake. You really want it??? I could post it here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah please do
    I Love experimenting in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I usually double the recipe to suit my big family, but below is the single recipe k...

    125g Margarine, 3 eggs, 2tsp baking powder, 2 tbsps cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 and 1/2 cups flour, 1 and 1/4 cups milk.

    Ok, so the ingredients are just the standard- but follow the method and you're bound to get some light, fluffy chocolaty goodness. Insha-Allah

    1: start by mixing the margarine and sugar until its so light and fluffy that its actually white. then throw in the eggs, one at a time- mixing well after every egg.
    2:then pop in all the dry ingredients and mix well.
    3: lastly throw in the milk- ensuring that the mixture is creamy and smooth.
    4: bake as standard- 180 degrees for about an hour.

    Once its baked, i make an icing as follows:
    I take icing sugar and mix it with little margarine. (mix margarine well into it.)
    Now the icing will be too rich so i add a little milk to it to make it smooth.
    I can't give you amounts- because i just add it in it without measuring. The end result is a nice thick but creamy choc icing.

    Hope it turns out great! Don't forget to say Bismillah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks a million... i will Insha Allah try it out when i get a chance... & i'll be sure to update you on the outcome :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog